Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 26 - Advice of Strangers

http://www.kingsspeech.com/about.html

While having drinks one night at a local bar, the topic of conversation became recently viewed movies. As my most recent cinematic experience was the laughable cartoon, "Tangled", the bartender quickly took control of the conversation and mentioned a movie that, at the time, I hadn't even heard of. He began to give a glowing synopsis of the movie, "The King's Speech" and offered his personal review of the actors as well. As he spoke, I decided that my bartender was obviously in the wrong profession and was really the next Roger Ebert in disguise. Believing in his movie critique talent, I couldn't refuse his suggestion.

Putting fear of differences aside, I put complete trust in a stranger's advice to see a movie I had never heard of. Of course, the lapse of time between our conversation and the actual ticket buying allowed me to realize the movie I was preparing to see is now a 12 time Oscar nominee. However, had I not had the previous conversation with my own personal Roger Ebert, I would have quickly gotten annoyed with the current Oscar hype, and ignored viewing what turned out to be an excellent movie. I give it two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment