Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day 211 - Schoolmarm

I told a client today, who has a dog reactive dog, that he would fail the CGC (Canine Good Citizenship) test based on his dog's behavior. While it is the cold hard truth based on facts, it was probably one of the hardest and scariest things I've had to say to someone in the training world. His dog is not mean, or evil. His dog is a big mush of a sweetheart, but doesn't quite know how to play well with others. I don't know that I've ever told anyone such negative news, but I can only hope it was received in a manner prompting more diligent training and work with his pet. I feel like an evil schoolmarm. Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Sometime people just want to hear it "as it is" and prefer that to beating around the bush.

    RJR Daydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  2. True John, thanks for the reminder and comment! Some times I get wrapped up in being "nice" versus direct, and there are definitely times when "direct" is needed!

    ReplyDelete