Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 209 - Betty

I am a closet Golden Girls fan. Okay, well maybe it's not that much of a secret at this point in my life, but I'm sharing it at risk of being ridiculed for liking a "bunch of old farts". The funny thing is, the Golden Girls really have a young sense of humor, and due to syndication, the show's fan base continues to grow and boasts that the average viewer is in their mid twenties! With that statistic, it stands to say that these old broads, or very talented writers, or both, sure know how to give a timeless performance. You don't have to be old to enjoy the show!

I personally don't watch that much TV as I'm not home often (other then maybe Sundays), but when I am home in the late evening, you can bet my TV is set to the Lifetime channel, watching the much repeated (and memorized) episodes of my favorite gals. In addition, I not only own the complete series on DVD, but I "watch" the DVD's at night in order to unwind and fall asleep. It's hard these days to fall asleep without my girls on the TV/DVD player timer.

I can't say I have one favorite Golden Girl, because I feel like I identify with all of the characters at one time or another, but if I had to pick an individual actress that I admire most from the show, it'd be Betty White. Her zest for life, and convictions and passion to stand by what she believes in is awe-inspiring. Even more so, I hope I'm as active and effective at the age of 83 as she is!

I am currently reading Betty's most recent book, "If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't)" and it's awesome! The quick reading book allows you a glimpse into the authentic Betty White (with tons of great photos!), and offers some great life advice. It's an enjoyable read and comes highly recommended, by me of course!


4 comments:

  1. That's cute. She's a cute lady. Don't be ashamed (or closeted) that you are a fan!

    I mean, WHO doesn't like Betty White????

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's done some great things for animals too, Erin. She's a long time vegetarian and animal rights advocate! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know who originally illustrated this photo? I am looking to get into contact with them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete