Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 75 - 3/16

Ten years ago today, my father passed away. I can't explain the hole this has left in my life or the grief I still feel despite believing he's in a better place. I don't talk about the subject much in fear of sharing my vulnerability I suppose, or in fears that some days, I may burst into tears. It amazes me how, while not constant, some days the pain can still be as fresh as it was all those years ago. I don't dwell on the pain of my dad's passing, but try to focus on the good times we shared and the memories we created.

My dad is probably the person who got me stuck on quotes. It seems he had a quote for almost any situation, whether I wanted to hear the advice they held or not. He was fond of quoting Dale Carnegie and Franklin Roosevelt, but most of all the Bible. There were many times as a "strong willed" child that I didn't want to be reminded of the good I should be doing by being advised to read certain scriptures or to have them verbally spouted off to me. The Bible played a huge part in my dad's life, as well as my upbringing.

My dad left this world on 3/16 and what I find ironic is, that one of my dad's most repeated scriptures was John 3:16, reminding me and our family of God's great sacrifice. Of course, my father would probably be delighted I've made this connection, knowing he can still "force" me to refer to the Bible even today.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16 ~ KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment