Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 181 - Call Out

My boss basically told me, in not so many words, that when I got promoted that I had better not make a fool out of her for promoting me by embarrassing her with too many "call outs" or sick day absences. In her defense, she probably didn't mean exactly what I've interpreted above, but it's been over a year and I still feel like I cannot call out sick. I think I've called out once due to severe illness, and took a vacation day to take care of some huge personal matters over the past two years. Despite what I think is a decent attendance record, especially when compared to other staff members in my department, I'm still afraid to call in sick.

Despite fears, today Thursday, after being yelled at by friends, co-workers, and finally my boyfriend to stay home and rest, I did. I didn't care that I had ran a fever all night, I didn't care I could hardly breathe due to cough and cold, I still felt the need to go to work. I think I was finally just too tired to argue with them any more, and found it easier to call in.


My cats who have been grossly emotionally neglected were happy to have me home for the day and found it appropriate to cuddle as much as they could. My ass found it appropriate to never leave the sofa, except for food and bathroom breaks. I can sure tell you sick days have changed since I was a kid. Being called out from school due to illness provided me with a day of cartoon watching, a Sprite, and a nursing mother who made me grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, and maybe even a new coloring book and fresh crayons. Today's sick day finds me bored with crummy television, except for Full House re-runs, and I'm left to make my own lunch creations which equates to microwavable soup. There is definitely no coloring involved.

The one good thing is, that it seems like all the rest is paying off. I'm coughing a little less and feeling a little better. Here's to feeling better!

No comments:

Post a Comment