Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 139 - Sac

Out walking today, my friend and I came across a "Cul de Sac" sign. And while we both know what it represents, our curiosity was peaked as we wondered what the literal translation of the phrase was. As we joked about what the translation might be (and made up descriptions of our own) we wondered if people who actually lived in a cul de sac knew what the translation of the phrase was, would they still want to live in one?

Looking up the phrase "cul de sac", it literally translates to "bottom of bag". Who wants to be squished (imagine a loaf of bread) in the bottom of a bag? "Hello, I'm Jane and I live in the bottom of a bag" - doesn't sound so glamorous, does it? I figure if people can live in a bottom of a bag and brag about it, then we shouldn't judge those who live in cardboard boxes and use newspapers for blankets.

2 comments: