Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 98 - G is for Garland

Garland, Judy: (June 10, 1922 – June 22, 1969) an American actress and singer - Wikipedia

Judy Garland is one of, if not my all time favorite actress. Although she died long before I was born (well, okay not that long before) I've been captivated by Judy Garland's performances and life ever since I saw the Wizard of Oz for the first time. I remember as a child being afraid of the flying monkeys and feeling just like Dorothy, wishing for a place I where I fit in. Aside from the story of the Wizard of Oz, I was fascinated by the colors, special effects, costumes and most of all the music in the movie. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is, to this day, one of my favorite songs.

The way Judy delivered that song time and time again throughout her life and career still moves me. As time went on, she went from hopeful Kansas farm girl, to a broken career woman. The delivery of the song changes as her career spans over her life challenges and you can hear those challenged reflected in her voice. In one of her final performances from Carnegie Hall you can hear the raw pain, the struggle and just how much she really wishes that she could get over the rainbow and find a place where she, Judy Garland not Dorothy, can really fit in. She ends the song tearful. Judy Garland poured herself into that song time and time again as well as the life long mission of finding a place of belonging which always seemed to be just over the rainbow for her.

With that said, what's the rainbow you're hoping to get over and what is it you expect to find on the other side? What's stopping you from getting over your rainbow? I have plenty of rainbows to get over both professionally and personally and hope to see you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment