Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 220 - Short

I received sad news today, that someone I hardly knew passed away this weekend in an unfortunate and really, freak, accident. I cried almost immediately. I thought nothing except, "how senseless!". How can someone I saw practically every day, yet hardly knew affect me so deeply? Because of the context in which I knew her, no matter how limited. She was positive. She was bubbly. She was healthy. She was energetic, and if you spoke to her for just a few minutes (which I did), that energy was contagious. I've learned now after the fact, in addition to my limited knowledge of her life, that she was a "go getter" and had done and continued to do nothing but positive things in her life personally and professionally. She was 24. I'm 35 and while I know better than to compare my life and accomplishments to others, I can't help but pause and think, what the hell am I doing here? This comes weeks after a previous post where another co-worker's brush with death left me questioning my purpose. While I won't repeat that sentiment or blog post here, I will leave myself, and to you my readers, these reminders...

“Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don't love what you're doing and you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You'll be an old man before you know it.” - Al Lopez

“Life is too short not to make the best and the most of everything that comes your way everyday.” - Sasha Azevedo

“Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead, surround yourself with optimistic people.” - Zig Ziglar

2 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute to the friend who passed away. Such great advice that we do what we love and appreciate our life as it is. Thank you for making us feel better.
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete